One of Canada’s top family travel writers, Kate started as a magazine editor after Journalism at Ryerson University, Toronto and post-grad studies at the Sorbonne, Paris. During the 1990’s and early 2000’s, she was a founding editor of five national magazines including Chatelaine Travels! and Travel & More for Air Miles.
Kate’s family stories, many based on travel adventures with her own three kids, in magazines from AARP The Magazine to Reader’s Digest and Today’s Parent. For ten years, Family Travel columnist for Toronto Sun and syndicated newspapers. Recently, Writer-in-Residence for Kensington Tours. Currently, freelance writer, editor, speaker and educator. Contact: email@example.com.
As a photographer, her family travel images have appeared in dozens of publications, i.e. the Toronto Sun.
Family Travel books: Canadian contributor National Geographic Guide to Family Adventure Vacations (14 chapters) and Author Fodor’s Around Toronto with Kids.
- 2013: NATJA Award, Intergenerational and Family Travel; Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC) Award Best Canadian Travel Blog: Finalist OTMP Best Blog Award
- 2012: Silver and Bronze Writing Awards, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2011: Photo Award: SATW Bill Muster Photo Showcase, Honorable Mention
- 2010: First Prize, Consumer Tips and Advice; Award of Merit, Family and Intergenerational Travel, NATJA Awards
- 2010: Best Service Feature, Travel Media Association of Canada
- 2009: First Prize, Senior Travel, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2009: Merit Award, Family Travel, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2008: Kalama Award, Maui Visitors Bureau, for ongoing enlightenment of readers
- 2007: First place, Best Family Story, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2007: Runner up, Best Original Internet Article, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2007: Runner Up, Best Senior Travel Article, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2006: First prize, Family Travel Category, North American Travel Journalists’ Association
- 2006: Cayman Islands Award for Excellence in Caribbean Travel Writing
- 2005: National Magazine Award for article in Today’s Parent magazine
- 2004: Best Travel Article, Travel Media Association of Canada
- 2004: Award for Excellence in Travel Journalism, Travel Media Association of Canada
Family Travel Articles
Hundreds of travel stories and photos in magazines during the last five years including:
AAA Living, AARP The Magazine, Americas, CAA Magazine, Chatelaine, Collections (Toronto Zoo magazine), Cruise Lifestyles, DreamScapes,Frommer’s Budget Travel, Grapevine (New Zealand), Life, etc. (Royal Bank), Maclean’s newsweekly magazine, Michigan Living, MoneySense, More Magazine, My Ontario, Ontario, New York Times, There’s no Place Like This, Reader’s Digest, Family Outlook, New Outlook, SilverKris (Singapore Airlines), SkyWritings (Air Jamaica’s in-flight), SOHO Small Business, Spa Life, Sunquest Magazine, Today’s Parent, Today’s Grandparent and Travel & More, Your Air Miles Magazine; Travel Guide to Canada; Travel Guide to Florida; Wings (Sunwing) and Zoom-Zoom Magazine (Mazda).
Hundreds of stories and photos for The Globe and Mail, Miami Herald, The Toronto Sun and other newspapers.
Family Travel Guides
- 2005: Author, Uniroyal Passport to Road Trip Adventure, Michelin Canada, Montreal
- 2001: Author, Around Toronto with Kids, Fodor’s Travel Publications, Random House, New York
- 2000: Contributor, National Geographic Guide to Family Adventure Vacations, National Geographic Society, Washington
- American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA)
- Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
- North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA)
- Travel Media Association of Canada (TMAC)
Kate is available for speaking engagements, seminars and workshops. In summer 2015, travel writing workshop at Haliburton School of the Arts, Ontario. To arrange talks and teaching, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org